[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Wed Nov 17 08:11:52 PST 2004

begin  Mike MacCana  quotation:
> watching the compile process for someone elses stuff scroll by does
> not make you a software engineer).

	Yeah, sure.  I'm with you there.  The thing that most people
forget in this debate is that stuff used to be *seriously broken* as a
general rule.  Back when I learned to compile stuff from source, I'd
get all sorts of errors and have to fix things.  First it was
makefiles, then header files, and eventually I had to tweak little .c
files.

	Admittedly I had learned C to a bone-headed novice level
already at the time, but it was enough to figure it out.  It made me
feel that my then-totally-useless grasp of C was enough to get *some*
tasks done.  That was a big deal.  Twiddling array sizes and writing
wrapper functions to mismatched library routines was quite a rush when
I didn't have any confidence in my ability to write an actual program
in C.

--
"virii" would be the plural of the mythical masculine        Nick Moffitt
noun "virius". The neuter plural of "virus" would be        nick@zork.net