[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews @hyperreal.org)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Wed Nov 17 06:14:03 PST 2004

On November 17, 2004 04:49 am, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> If you claim that there is no difference to opaque vs. transparent
> package installation in respect to empowering the user, I disagree.

I agree with you, but...

> It encourages inquiry. Nice graphical installers which hide that
> information discourage that. Empowered users can help themselves, and help
> in the software development process. Some of the empowered users will
> become developers.

There is nothing particularly empowering about watching a million lines of
compiler output scroll by.  When there is an error and the graphical
installer (or quiet text based installer) gives you the last hundred lines or
whatnot of output for you to do something with -- now that is empowering.

Kind of like KDE's backtraces...  You get the crash screen and then if you've
got debug symbols in your binaries and you move over to the "Backtrace" tab,
you get a full backtrace.  Combine that with a core dump and you're seriously
empowered.

Again -- having compiler output scroll by endlessly does not empower you. You
actually have to have a use for a small subset of that output to be
empowered.  It's not a bad start though, but not particularly more empowering
than any package you have to build, Gentoo or no.

-A.