[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Nov 17 01:49:45 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 05:16:36PM +1100, Mike MacCana wrote:

> I hope he does, he's made an important point (which oddly seems to be
> the same as Jeff's - watching the compile process for someone elses
> stuff scroll by does not make you a software engineer).

If you claim that there is no difference to opaque vs. transparent
package installation in respect to empowering the user, I disagree.

You see the individual stages of a build, and where it breaks. This allows
you to report the point of breakage to the author, or at least get support
from other software developers.

It encourages inquiry. Nice graphical installers which hide that information
discourage that. Empowered users can help themselves, and help in the
software development process. Some of the empowered users will become
developers.

Building from source can eventually become powerful enough (and encourage
platform developers to design for that) for trivial package porting.