[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Tue Nov 16 17:38:29 PST 2004

begin  Jeff Weff  quotation:
> The culture of cool surrounding "compile everything yourself" is
> leading potential contributors astray. Instead of aspiring to
> writing code, they end up thinking they've scaled the mountain when
> they can "build their own OS" all by themselves.

	I remember back in the slackware days, I was telling this old
Ultrix/Irix/whateverproprietaryUnix admin all about "compiling my own
kernel".  He didn't believe me, and demanded proof.

	So I did me a make config, dep, all that good stuff, and then
started the build.  Whee, stuff scrolls by!

	So he starts laughing.

	"BULLSHIT!" He cried, "BUUUUULLLLSHIT!"

	When I finally caught him down off his roar long enough to
listen to me, he explained how he had proven me wrong:

	"You're compiling *Linus's* kernel, not YOUR OWN!"

	I wonder if he still has a job.

--
Information gladly given, but safety requires              Nick Moffitt
avoiding unnecessary conversation.                   nick@teh.entar.net