[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Nov 16 15:04:02 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:04:45AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> It is not helping us breed an army of developers... It is helping us breed
> an army of BUILD ENGINEERS. Now that's a "software engineering" job title
> the entire FOSS community ought to be deprecating with great prejudice!

I disagree.  I've gotten more patches from gentoo users than _any other
distro_ for some of the packages that I develop.  That has to mean that
some of the users are poking around and actually looking at this code
that is being built on their systems.

And being a build engineer is a good thing for someone trying to learn
how the whole big puzzle fits together.  It shows them what goes where,
and in what order.  Pre-packaged distros don't show that, and make it
hard for users to poke around in the internals if they want to.

> Let's take out the queen bee.

Let's let people choose what they want to spend their extra cpu cycles
on :)

There's room enough around here for both source based and package based
distros.

thanks,

greg k-h