[linux-elitists] Debian vs Gentoo, round three

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Tue Nov 16 13:14:23 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:20:56PM +0000, Brian Nelson wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 11:03:55PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
>> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:59 -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
>> > On 15 Nov 2004 at 17:39:34, Teh Entar-Nick arranged the bits on my disk to say:

>> > This claim holds up just fine.
>> >
>> > X was but one example.
>> >
>> > There are other features of various packages that you may or may not want
>> > in a server context (that have nothing to do with X) which Gentoo's USE
>> > flags handle nicely and Debian... well... has no equivalent;
>>
>> BWAHAHAHA. OH yes it does have a few, of which the following is a great
>> example.
>>
>> apt-get install equivs
>
>Which would probably give you unusable programs due to unresolved
>symbols.
>
>Equivs are a gross hack and are not something that should be advertised
>as an advantage to Debian.
>
>I still think the whole USE flags vs. Debian packages is overblown.  I
>maintain several highly functional Debian systems that have no X
>software installed at all.  In general, Debian does a pretty good job
>of providing packages with and without X/GNOME/whatever dependencies,
>or allow them to optionally be used if available (via dlopen).

I have Debian servers, none of which have X installed. (let alone GNOME
et al) Not sure what the deal is here.

And as a side issue, equivs will break your system if you aren't
careful, (or rather, you can break your system with equivs) but surely a
poorly thought out USE variable will do the same thing?

Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is
oblivion.
		-- Mark Twain