[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Tue Nov 16 08:06:14 PST 2004

On November 15, 2004 11:25 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> One point in favor of Gentoo is that their system for defining
> packages is far less insane than the mess under debian/ or even .spec
> files.

Feh, if you want that use Slackware -- I simply don't buy the bunk that Gentoo
gets you a significant "measurable amount" of performance and the time wasted
in playing with USE_FLAGS and whatnot...  meh.

Give me some good hard repeatable numbers between i486-instructions, i686 code
ordered binaries and as fast as you can tweak out Gentoo that show
*significant* savings.  I bet you can't find them.

-A.