[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Nov 16 05:32:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 20:20 +0000, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 11:03:55PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:59 -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > > On 15 Nov 2004 at 17:39:34, Teh Entar-Nick arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> > > This claim holds up just fine.
> > >
> > > X was but one example.
> > >
> > > There are other features of various packages that you may or may not want
> > > in a server context (that have nothing to do with X) which Gentoo's USE
> > > flags handle nicely and Debian... well... has no equivalent;
> >
> > BWAHAHAHA. OH yes it does have a few, of which the following is a great
> > example.
> >
> > apt-get install equivs
>
> Which would probably give you unusable programs due to unresolved
> symbols.
>
> Equivs are a gross hack and are not something that should be advertised
> as an advantage to Debian.
>
> I still think the whole USE flags vs. Debian packages is overblown.  I
> maintain several highly functional Debian systems that have no X
> software installed at all.  In general, Debian does a pretty good job of
> providing packages with and without X/GNOME/whatever dependencies, or
> allow them to optionally be used if available (via dlopen).

Equivs allows you to do a source install of something and have it
satisfy the depends for something like a foreign MTA (foreign to Debian
that is). True it only has a few instances of usage, but still it is a
tool that could be used.

I have 6 Debian Production servers only one has any X (libraries) on
it... mainly to allow remote viewing of certain monitoring systems that
certain people *MUST* have (not really, they think they do, but that is
another matter entirely).

I'll agree that the whole package management thing is overblown. What it
really comes down to is Policy!

I guess, I just like stirring up the honey-pot from time to time.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux