[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Nov 15 21:28:47 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 04:19:29PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2004, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > In short, to build a package for (as an example) udev, you would do:
> > 	emerge --buildpkg udev
> >
> > then take the package in /usr/portage/All/ with the udev name (like
> > udev-043.tbz2) and copy it to another box.  Then do:
> > 	emerge udev-043.tbz2
>
> Does this incorporate the kind of dependency/versioning information
> that's present in an rpm or dpkg?  If I try to install it on an
> incompatible box will I get some kind of warning?

You still need the same /usr/portage tree to be on the box.  That
ensures the dependancy/versioning stuff works.

Oh, I forgot, when you copy the files over, they need to be in the
/usr/portage/packages directory to work properly.  A simple rsync works
for me, but there might be other ways to do this.

thanks,

greg k-h