[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Nov 15 20:49:54 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:25:14PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2004, Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:09:30PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > No, I didn't realize that since I don't use gentoo.
> >
> > Is it realistic to maintain a whole system in this fashion?  Does it
> > require manual effort to build each installable package?
>
> .. and do you have a link to good documentation about it?  I knew it
> was theoretically possible but I could not work out the right way to
> do it last time I looked.

'man emerge' and look at the option for --buildpkg and --buildpkgonly

In short, to build a package for (as an example) udev, you would do:
	emerge --buildpkg udev

then take the package in /usr/portage/All/ with the udev name (like
udev-043.tbz2) and copy it to another box.  Then do:
	emerge udev-043.tbz2

That's it.  Pretty easy.

> One point in favor of Gentoo is that their system for defining
> packages is far less insane than the mess under debian/ or even .spec
> files.

It really is.  As someone who has written both rpms and ebuilds, I like
ebuilds much better.  Even if it's a pain in the butt to modify the
files in /etc/* from a ebuild...

thanks,

greg k-h