[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Mon Nov 15 20:50:00 PST 2004

On 16 Nov 2004 at 15:25:14, Martin Pool arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> On 15 Nov 2004, Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:09:30PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > No, I didn't realize that since I don't use gentoo.
> >
> > Is it realistic to maintain a whole system in this fashion?  Does it
> > require manual effort to build each installable package?
>
> .. and do you have a link to good documentation about it?

emerge is Gentoo's version of apt.

So installing a new package is as easy as:

emerge apache

If you want to upgrade it's as easy as emerge -u apache.

And so on. It handles dependencies, finding the source, building it, and
installing it. And an |emerge unmerge apache| will cleanly uninstall the
package (by figuring out what was installed, not what |make uninstall|,
which may not even exist, might do).

Here's some good starter documentation on Portage and emerge:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft