[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Mon Nov 15 20:25:14 PST 2004

On 15 Nov 2004, Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:09:30PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> No, I didn't realize that since I don't use gentoo.
>
> Is it realistic to maintain a whole system in this fashion?  Does it
> require manual effort to build each installable package?

.. and do you have a link to good documentation about it?  I knew it
was theoretically possible but I could not work out the right way to
do it last time I looked.

One point in favor of Gentoo is that their system for defining
packages is far less insane than the mess under debian/ or even .spec
files.

--
Martin