[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Mon Nov 15 12:20:56 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 11:03:55PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:59 -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > On 15 Nov 2004 at 17:39:34, Teh Entar-Nick arranged the bits on my disk to say:
> >
> > > begin  J. Paul Reed  quotation:
> > >
> > > 	I don't think this claim holds up.  In fact, the only things
> > > 	keeping X on my own headless server are scheme interpreters.
> >
> > This claim holds up just fine.
> >
> > X was but one example.
> >
> > There are other features of various packages that you may or may not want
> > in a server context (that have nothing to do with X) which Gentoo's USE
> > flags handle nicely and Debian... well... has no equivalent;
>
> BWAHAHAHA. OH yes it does have a few, of which the following is a great
> example.
>
> apt-get install equivs

Which would probably give you unusable programs due to unresolved
symbols.

Equivs are a gross hack and are not something that should be advertised
as an advantage to Debian.

I still think the whole USE flags vs. Debian packages is overblown.  I
maintain several highly functional Debian systems that have no X
software installed at all.  In general, Debian does a pretty good job of
providing packages with and without X/GNOME/whatever dependencies, or
allow them to optionally be used if available (via dlopen).

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!