[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Mon Nov 15 19:28:31 PST 2004

begin  J. Paul Reed  quotation:
> On 16 Nov 2004 at 13:31:47, Jeff Waugh arranged the bits on my disk
> to say:
> > If you can do your own integration, bug tracking and security
> > support for everything on your system, that's... unhealthy, and I
> > recommend you seek medial advice.
>
> I don't have to; emerge and the people working in the Gentoo herds
> do all that for me.

	This is precisely like the old qmail problem: since in order
to get anything done you need to apply a zillion changes and patches,
you end up diverting so far from the official supported tree that
almost *everyone* ends up treading a tightrope of unforseen
interactions.

	Debian makes an effort to support different optional
featuresets by naming the packages differently.  That's why there's
mtr-tiny for folks who just want the curses stuff, and all sorts of
-gnome-suffixed packages that say "This provides the gnome version of
<foo>"

--
Support your droogs!                          Nick Moffitt
                                        nick@teh.entar.net