[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Mon Nov 15 17:59:44 PST 2004

On 15 Nov 2004 at 17:39:34, Teh Entar-Nick arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> begin  J. Paul Reed  quotation:
> > (so... you know... you can install PHP without bringing in X + fonts
> > + gtk2 + Gnome because some Debian dumbass likes PHPs Gnome
> > bindings).
>
> 	I don't think this claim holds up.  In fact, the only things
> 	keeping X on my own headless server are scheme interpreters.

This claim holds up just fine.

X was but one example.

There are other features of various packages that you may or may not want
in a server context (that have nothing to do with X) which Gentoo's USE
flags handle nicely and Debian... well... has no equivalent; you get what
the packager wanted. And you may be lucky enough to get some choice; if
not, "Oh well."

X just happens to be a great example.

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft