[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Nov 15 11:25:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:44:45AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> What is resident elitists' opinion about forthcoming Gentoo server (stable
> enterprise Gentoo)? Or is Gentoo and server an oxymoron?

It's not an oxymoron at all.  If you have employees that can handle the
different package churn, and know how to properly customize a box with
the correct packages, Gentoo is a great solution.

I have personally seen, and been told by a manager of a _very_ large
IT division that "on the same hardware, Gentoo beats Red Hat by a
measurable ammount".  They run only Gentoo on their high load, large
user systems, as they can use less hardware than if they used Red Hat.

And I know this place isn't the only one finding this result out.
A few large, unnamed Wall Street firms have also switched their internal
boxes over to Gentoo due to its flexibility in what they need to do.

And, as Gentoo has a "no installer for us, you wimp" type install, it
does fall into the "elitists" category for just getting the box up and
running properly :)

> I have no clue, is RSBAC jail comparable/superior to VServer patch jail for
> deployment in the field?

I've seen both deployed in the field.  If you want RSBAC, you can get
support from the a company started by the developer of it if you wish.

greg k-h