[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Nov 15 01:44:45 PST 2004

FWIW, I'm not very impressed with FC3. Evolution 2 (which my wife used)
completely failed to import the setup from Evolution FC3 (1.4 or 1.5).
I've noticed other people had the same problems. Well, that user didn't
stick. Not to flame, but this is a yet another data point that Ximian attempts
to bring us the same wonderful desktop experience Redmond already excels at.

Dual head support (Radeon 9600) in FC3 is now even more broken than in FC2.
system-config-display still fails with the same error messages (it *is*
possible to generate a correct dual-head xorg.conf, but it takes so many
trial-and-error steps that I couldn't pin it down for a succinct workaround),
and now even a correct xorg.conf fails to boot (setting system runlevel
default to 3 and then manually /sbin/telinit 5 is a temporary workaround.
Subjective experience: regress, no progress).

Also, FC3 is still as slow as FC2. I'm sure looking forward to check out
Hoary.

What is resident elitists' opinion about forthcoming Gentoo server (stable
enterprise Gentoo)? Or is Gentoo and server an oxymoron?

Another question: Adamantix isn't yet 2.6-based, but 2.6.7+RSBAC+PaX+EPIA+PADLOCK
patches seem to work well together.

I have no clue, is RSBAC jail comparable/superior to VServer patch jail for
deployment in the field?

----- Forwarded message from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org -----