[linux-elitists] [silk] Re: [india-gii] Indian students and Open Source (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Nov 9 02:54:22 PST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Rishab Aiyer Ghosh <rishab@dxm.org> -----

From: Rishab Aiyer Ghosh <rishab@dxm.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:51:08 +0100
To: Udhay Shankar N <udhay@pobox.com>, silklist@lists.hserus.net
Cc: venky@redhat.com, india-gii@lists.cpsr.org, nagarwal@novell.com
Subject: [silk] Re: [india-gii] Indian students and Open Source

i have written / spoken extensively about how free software is, and is seen
by the majority of developers as,  primarily a skills development
environment [1, 2]. it is a pity that in india and many poor countries
students are too fixated on the free-as-in-beer vs commercial aspects and
don't pay attention to free software development, as perhaps the cheapest
and most effective way of  developing new skills, not just programming
skills but teamwork, management and legal knowledge, skills that employers
may pay for. we are doing a study of employers and developers in europe on
this issue as part of the EU funded FLOSSPOLS project [3].

best,
rishab
1. http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12/ghosh/
2. http://flossproject.org/papers.htm - several presentations, see e.g.