[linux-elitists] heidelberg

Martijn Dekkers martijn@dekkers.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 00:26:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:20:54 +1100, "Mike MacCana" <mmaccana@redhat.com>
said:
[...]
> in my opinion seem to
> be moving in the same direction...
>
> - Open Source software only, much of which is developed by people whose
> rest is paid by commercial organizations.

SUSE/Novell/JDS is full of non-open source software, and are likely to
remain that way for the forseeable future.

> - A relatively small range of software by default with more available
> from other repositories

The latest SUSE Pro 9.2 DVD clocks in at some 9 gig.....

> - Simple installs, readable boot messages, Gnome as the main desktop.

Last time I checked, (moves browser window, looks at screen, moves
window back - yup, still there) SUSE 9.2 had (rightly so) KDE as the
main desktop, NLD gives you the (non-biased) option -- only JDS has a
Gnome default

> This is unique amongst Suse / Novell / JDS,  Slackware, and Debian. And
> it works really well for the both of them.

Maybe they don't put cheap steroids in the 'coolers at RH, but just
cheap acid. Maybe I just don't understand your post.

Martijn
--
A supercomputer is a machine that will run an endless loop in 2 seconds.