[linux-elitists] heidelberg

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Mon Nov 8 18:33:36 PST 2004

Jeff Waugh wrote:

><quote who="Mike MacCana">
>

>>No, you can just download the boot ISO and do a network install.
>>

>That requires a network to get a sane, basic system going, which is fine in
>some circumstances, but not all.

True. But you said you *had to* download all the discs, which isn't correct.

You can install a minimal server with just the first two discs.

The reason the first disc isn't full is because it can be added to and
replaced: RHEL 3 Update 1 simply replaced the first RHEL 3 disc. You got
a whole bunch of new drivers build into the installer you boot off
(kinda important for FC, SCSI, and SATA drivers) and the latest errata
on the first CD.

Jeff, I'm a little dissappointed: I was hoping to chat with a cool guy
who does interesting stuff you about the similar major attributes of the
distributions, rather than get into a pissing contest about how many
disks are required. If, however, you'd prefer to troll here, I'll
suggest that perhaps Ubuntu might like to adopt the above feature. :^)

Cheers,

Mike