[linux-elitists] heidelberg

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Nov 8 17:10:05 PST 2004

<quote who="Matthew Galgoci">

> > > Fedora, like its predecessor, is network installable. The problem is
> > > finding a mirror that is has enough free bandwidth to install from.
> >
> > Mmm, but you can't install a useful desktop / basic server system off
> > the first disk only. You have to install micro-minimal-teeny-tiny.
>
> No you silly wanker, you boot from the boot.iso and you network install
> what you need.

Yes, I heard you the first time without the name-calling, and I think I've
made it pretty clear why that's not a sensible answer to the question I
raised. Since *forever*, Debian has had the most important packages on the
first CD, and you can elect to install packages on further CDs if you so
require. So to install something useful, (a) you don't need multiple CDs and
(b) you don't need access to the net.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

     "Stick that in your analogy pipe and smoke it!" - On returning the
                            bulletproof analogue