[linux-elitists] HTML email

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 19:27:30 PST 2004

Ben Finney wrote:

>[changing subject appropriately, so people have adequate warning]
>
>On 03-Nov-2004, Mike MacCana wrote:
>

>>Eugen Leitl wrote:

>>>No. Why on earth?
>>>

>>It looks like you're assigning text to URLs. Your sentences are
>>smeared with annoying footnotes, making it hard to read and navigate.
>>You should use hypertext.
>>

>Using hypertext means using something that isn't email.

Er, no. Mail specifies text: what text is up to you.

>Email isn't
>hypertext; it's text.

Which can include HT, as [1] much [2] as [3] it can [4] include [5] shit
[6] footnotes [6] (in practice, actually a little more, as meatware
parsers prefer HT to the latter, which is my point).

>To use hypertext, you need a hypertext-aware
>protocol, like HTTP.

Er, no. Simply not technically true. You can use hypertext without HTTP
(oddly enough, hypertext was invented before [that said, I assume you
meant HTML, which you can also use without HTTP]) and you can use HTTP
without using hypertext (I hear this is becoming quite popular to do RPC
type stuff).

>If an MUA can do hypertext, that means it's doubling as a hypertext
>browser.

Yes. And every maintained MUA doubles as a hypertext browser. If you
have a complex document that needs hypertext, as I'd suggest this one
does, and your MUA doesn't support hypertext, save it and read it. Or
get better software (part of being elitist is having high standards, you
know).

>Just because a MUA can display HTML doesn't mean it can do
>hypertext, nor should it.

Please explain - do you mean hypertext as in hypertext (which leaves me
baffled - HTML includes support hypertext references) or HTTP (which is
irrelevant)?

most software is capable of supporting that. That the document looks as
if it was converted back from HTML to text and its on screen appearance
suggests HTML would have been a better job for the task, despite the
Angry Bearded People.

Mike