[linux-elitists] HTML email

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Nov 2 18:48:32 PST 2004

[changing subject appropriately, so people have adequate warning]

On 03-Nov-2004, Mike MacCana wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:29:50AM +1100, Mike MacCana wrote:
> >>Use HTML.
> >No. Why on earth?
>
> It looks like you're assigning text to URLs. Your sentences are
> smeared with annoying footnotes, making it hard to read and navigate.
> You should use hypertext.

Using hypertext means using something that isn't email.  Email isn't
hypertext; it's text.  To use hypertext, you need a hypertext-aware
protocol, like HTTP.

If an MUA can do hypertext, that means it's doubling as a hypertext
browser.  Just because a MUA can display HTML doesn't mean it can do
hypertext, nor should it.

--
 \         "My girlfriend has a queen sized bed; I have a court jester |
  `\   sized bed. It's red and green and has bells on it, and the ends |