[linux-elitists] Does anyone know what is going on with Mondo?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 2 08:57:25 PST 2004

Quoting Greg Folkert (greg@gregfolkert.net):

> Pretty much the website tells everything *I* know.
>
> Enlightenment would help tremendously in getting the word out to help
> the situation.
>
> http://www.mondorescue.org

http://forum.mondorescue.org/viewtopic.php?t=630

Post by:  rsandersiv

While I cannot go into detail, for obvious reasons, I'll gladly share
some factual tidbits.

My ex-employer, FastServers.net is threatening me with potential legal
action, and has been making claims which are not at all true.

Within hours of my complete severance of employment with FastServers the
index page located at http://boba.fastservers.net was modified by
FastServers management to no longer include the link to the PXE-Mondo
source.

FastServers.net also removed the publicly available PXE-Mondo source
code from their servers after my attorney pointed out the url that it
had always been posted at since the project began in early september.

I had made genuine and sincere attempts to work with FastServers to
finish work as a consultant, for an relatively fair fee. Since I would
be working for them on weekends, I had factored in a slight increase in
the rate to compensate.

Rather than try to work towards an amicable solution, FastServers
responded not with a polite decline of my offer, but with a heavy handed
response from their attorney threatining to file civil and criminal
extortion charges against me!

Travis Schaffner knows how to contact me directly, either through e-mail
or instant messenger. If his claims he made on the mondo-users list are
truly sincere, I should have had some contact from him by now.

As of 4:17 AM CDT I've not heard anything from him, although he's been
busy contacting mutual friends that he and I share!

I left fastServers on my own accord, and had not removed any vital
information from any FastServers.net servers, nor did I remove, modify
or obsfucate any PXE-Mondo documentation they had.

FastServers.net has all the documentation I had ever written for the
PXE-Mondo project, as does Hugo and other Mondo developers.

Fastservers.net is trying to bully me into finishing projects for them
with no offers of compensation whatsoever. All FastServers.net is
offering is a massive lawsuit if I do not agree to be their indentured
servant.

I'd like to end this by saying I very much appreciate the assistance
I've received from the Mondo team. when I contacted Hugo and a few other
industry contacts I have asking for advice on how to best handle this
situation, I had no idea that instead of advice, people would take
action to show that open source developers will not stand idly by while
their comrades are threatened with legal action.

Thank you all, god bless, and Happy All Hallow's Eve!

Ray Sanders - Former PXE-Mondo Project Lead

See also:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5868098&forum_id=5086