[linux-elitists] how many Linux programmers are out there

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat May 29 22:52:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 05:12:20PM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:

> If you're talking about kernel hackers, I'd say there have been less than
> 2,000 or so.
>
> Ever.

Hm, here's something I wrote in the first issue of Red Hat Magazine
(Open Sources it's called I think) about the development effort for the
2.6 kernel that gives a better view about these kernel developers and
what they do:

------
The Linux 2.6.0 kernel was released after 680 days of development.  Here
are some statistics about the development cycle during that time period

      - 27149 different changes were accepted into the kernel source
        tree.  That averages out to about 1.66 changes per hour over the
        entire 680 days.
      - 916 different developers contributed at least one kernel patch.
      - 413 different developers contributed one kernel change.
      - 117 different developers contributed two kernel changes.
      - 57 different developers contributed three kernel changes.
      - 38 different developers contributed four kernel changes.
      - 20 different developers contributed five kernel changes.
      - The top 10 developers contributed 10933 kernel changes.
      - The top 5 developers contributed 6956 kernel changes, averaging
        out to about 10 kernel changes a day.
      - There were 6175 merges in the kernel source tree, averaging out
        to about 9 merges a day.
      - Including merges and code changes, there were just over 2
        modifications per hour over the entire 680 days of development.
------

Note, I got these numbers from the bitkeeper logs, which do obscure a
few minor (and bigger) changes, so the true number of different
developers is bigger, but not by much.  One of these days I'll get bored
and try to dig out the true numbers...

thanks,

greg k-h