[linux-elitists] how many Linux programmers are out there

wuonm wuonm@wanadoo.es
Sat May 29 18:51:29 PDT 2004

This morning in my school (yes, I'm diversifying with an MBA) the prof was talking about standards and of course Linux come into the picture.
She said that there is about 100 millions Linux programmers (I presume she included also users) in the world.
I didn't correct her because I didn't know a better answer.
Later on I googled for it but didn't found a convincing answer.

Has anyone estimated the number of programmers Linux has vs. non-Linux? A start can be the number of OpenSource projects (being them mainly Linux based). Sourceforge.net has about 81000 projects and 850000 users. Assuming sf.net is the biggest project farm for opensource/linux based projects, how much more projects farms of this size exists? 3? None?

bye,
wuonm