[linux-elitists] IANAL, TINLA

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed May 26 16:34:52 PDT 2004

On 26 May 2004, Mister Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org> wrote:
> Second, it beggars comprehension that anyone could consider anything
> as personal legal advice that comes through a broadcast medium.

I rather like the way esr handled this in The Art of Unix Programming:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch16s07.html#id2993874

    Having gone through all this legal verbiage, the expected thing
    for us to do at this point is to utter a somber disclaimer to the
    effect that we are not lawyers, and that if you have any doubts
    about the legality of something you want to do with open-source
    software, you should immediately consult a lawyer.

    With all due respect to the legal profession, this would be
    fearful nonsense. The language of these licenses is as clear as
    legalese gets -- they were written to be clear -- and should not
    be at all hard to understand if you read it carefully.

--
Martin