[linux-elitists] IANAL, TINLA

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed May 26 11:41:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 12:48, Mister Bad wrote:

> Lastly, legal advice seems like such a special and important form of
> speech that it should and probably is _positively_ tagged, rather than
> _negatively_ tagged. In other words, we should be able to assume that
> anything people say is _not_ legal advice, unless they actually say
> that it is. So, rather than me going into a corner store and saying,
> "I am not a lawyer, nice day outside, isn't it? This is not legal
> advice, I need a loaf of bread, please," it seems that lawyers would
> normally say, "I'm speaking as your attorney, now, and giving you this
> advice: blah blah blah blah blah." Not least because that's they're
> getting paid for, so they should at least tell what you're paying good
> money for.

The canonical way to do this is, I believe, to state "As your attorney,
I advice you to rent a very fast car with no top", and so on, for taking
hits from little brown bottles, etc.

> So, as a question to my audience of some of the finest non-lawyers in
> the land: am I way off on the reasons for saying "IANAL, TINLA"? If
> not, are there good arguments why these reasons aren't ridiculous?

You're right, it is ridiculous. I've always chalked it up to the US
phobia of lawsuits.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet