[linux-elitists] Re: [Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again (fwd from deadline@linux-mag.com)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 26 09:30:13 PDT 2004

begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Wed, May 26, 2004 at 05:48:26PM +0200:
> ----- Forwarded message from "Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine" <deadline@linux-mag.com> -----
>
> From: "Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine" <deadline@linux-mag.com>

>    It is great name because Linux is like kudzu. In some cases , it is
>    growing all over the data center. It came in the "HPC back door".

quote of the day...

  For more than two years, it has been apparent in
  the IBM Company that we were behind in the large
  scientific area. This is an area where, since the
  days of our Harvard machine, we have attempted to
  lead. Although four or five years ago there was some
  doubt as to whether or not we should continue to
  try to lead in this area because of the expense and
  other considerations, at some point between two and
  three years ago it became evident that the fallout
  from the building of such large-scale machines was
  so great as to justify their continuance at almost
  any cost.

         -- T.J. Watson, Jr.
            May 17, 1965
            http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/acs.html

Count on IBM to set Red Hat and SuSE straight on the
cluster pricing issue.  Who can think about gross
margins at a time like this -- this is a corporate
dick size war, dammit!

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Learn Linux and free software