[linux-elitists] Two on RFID from Politech: Hack the tech, & Gilmore's dystopia

Jesse Meyer meyer@btinet.net
Wed May 12 02:09:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Don Marti wrote:

> begin Donnie Barnes quotation of Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:24:19PM -0400:
>
> > Of course, we can choose to not buy those tires.  At least until all
> > tires have them.
>
>   In the TREAD Act of November 1, 2000, Congress
>   required the National Highway Traffic Safety
>   Administration (NHTSA) to develop a rule requiring
>   all new motor vehicles to be equipped with a warning
>   system to indicate to the operator when a tire is
>   significantly underinflated.

You know what they say about idiot-proofing:  The world will build a
better idiot.

I'm guilty of this myself.  I spent a few years driving a '92 Dakota
pickup -- which would beep whenever I left the lights on and turned the
vehicle off.

Then I switched to a '79 D100 pickup -- and promptly left the lights on
twice [discharging the battery completely] before remembering to always
check the lights before exiting the vehicle.

Humans are lazy.  This applies to the mind as well.  If automation
eliminates the need to monitor a task [such as the status of the
lights], then the mind will ignore it.

With too much automation, the mind becomes rather dumb.  The tools
become a crutch.

I haven't had a problem with figuring out when a tire is low -- the
vehicle tends to pull to a side, in my limited experience.  Plus, I tend
to try to 'feel' the road -- the side effect of living in an area that
is only frost-free for three months out of the year.

What happens when an entire generation is brought up driving vehicles
that they don't listen to, don't feel, due to 'safety' measures.

Perhaps the unintended side effect is that vehicles will become less
safe.

Jesse Meyer

--
  Want to listen to new music?
  Why don't you look at iRATE?                                   icq: 34583382