[linux-elitists] Two on RFID from Politech: Hack the tech, & amp; Gilmore's dystopia

Donnie Barnes djb@donniebarnes.com
Tue May 11 13:06:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 13:30, Derek Vadala wrote:
> I think that Donnie was referring specifically to auto-to-auto accidents,
> but you would have to ask him. You are free to hit whatever you like, of
> course.

Not really.  The point is more data is there than *just* what was
happening during the accident, which *could* be used against you in
court.  Personally, I have no problem with very recent data to an
accident being used if available to help determine fault.
Unfortunately, civil courts seem to have no problem at times using a lot
more data to let a plaintiff "build a pattern of behavior" or some such
nonsense.

I autocross my street car(s), and I can see it now..."looking at the
data, there were multiple times the defendant was pulling 1.4 lateral
g's in the two days prior to this accident...in normal every day driving
the average lateral g a car sees is .3g so obviously this defendant is a
*crazy* driver!"  "No, I raced that car on a private circuit those two
days."  "Ah-HA!  Not only is he *crazy*, but he thinks he is a RACE CAR
DRIVER!"

Far fetched?  No more far fetched than the cries that the government is
highly organized enough to start harassing *honest* citizens through
data collected from the RFID chips in your tires.  Probably less so.

And again, I drive OBD vehicles regularly.  I just think people need to
*know* what data is being recorded on such devices.  Same with cell
phone tracking and all this RFID business.  Unless a law enforcement
agency has a warrant, all use of such devices for ANY purpose needs to
be expressed prior to any use (at the time of purchase, ideally).  If
people then choose to buy anyway, well, they have given up that
"freedom" willingly.

--Donnie

--
  Donnie Barnes  http://www.donniebarnes.com  djb@donniebarnes.com  879.  V.