[linux-elitists] Two on RFID from Politech: Hack the tech, & Gilmore's dystopia

Donnie Barnes djb@donniebarnes.com
Mon May 10 17:24:19 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 04:23, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> The second covers a "hacking the system" concept.  I'd considered
> something similar myself, though different in approach.  Rather than
> finding RFID chips and "redistributing" them, why not create
> programmable RFID broadcasters which could spoof other chips, and
> distribute these.  The idea being to pollute any RFID detectors with a
> vast spew of superfluous data.

While the above "solution" is definitely more costly to implement than
the "swapping RFID" concept Gilmore touts, it's also more possible.  I
mean, if these devices are embedded in our tires then we have to trade
*tires* to swap them around.  Not something people are likely to do.  Of
course, we can choose to not buy those tires.  At least until all tires
have them.

I have a headache.

--Donnie

--