[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue May 4 19:51:42 PDT 2004

<quote who="Brian McGroarty">

> So, my question is this -- are they looking to make the bulk of their from
> this as a software product?

Not if you look at the figures on the deals they've made to date. ;-) It's
roughly razors for services/hardware/server razorblades.

> Off support contracts? Or is this finally the locked down distribution
> with only one of each app, where somebody can start selling training and
> certification?

Everyone's doing the only-one-of-each-app thing nowadays, so it's not hugely
different to Red Hat and (what I hear of) future SuSE releases.

> I guess if it's the last, calling it the <fingerquote> Java </fingerquote>
> Desktop might be partly to make sure nobody else can offer certification
> programs with quite the same corporate credibility as the trademark
> holder.

I get the impression this is why Red Hat used their off-the-shelf Bluecurve
trademark, too.

- Jeff

   I used the word 'infrastructure' when describing her cooking style...
                   and she didn't speak to me for a week.