[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Tue May 4 19:46:20 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:49:21PM -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/22/HNsundesktop_1.html
> "The Java Desktop System costs $100 per employee per year or $50 per
> employee per year if the client also buys the Java Enterprise System
> server software, which costs $100 per employee per year. These prices
> are significantly below those charged by Microsoft for similar
> products."
>
> $100/year per desktop seems like quite a bargain (Even today) if it
> includes the hardware. Even better is the $25/desktop for schools. But
> Dunno if any of these prices include hardware or if its software only.

So, my question is this -- are they looking to make the bulk of their
from this as a software product? Off support contracts? Or is this
finally the locked down distribution with only one of each app, where
somebody can start selling training and certification?

I guess if it's the last, calling it the <fingerquote> Java
</fingerquote> Desktop might be partly to make sure nobody else can
offer certification programs with quite the same corporate credibility
as the trademark holder.