[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Tue May 4 18:54:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:37:48AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Kinz">
>
> > > Sun Linux was a Red Hat based 'enterprise' distro.
> >
> > According to Sun's web site, there isn't anything which Sun calls "Sun
> > Linux".
>
> Yeah, I don't think they (publicly acknowledge that they) ship it anymore.
>
> > My: [[  SUN-Linux (or "JDS" as SUN knows it.. ) ]]   was poking fun at
> > SUN's ".NET"-like attempt to create a brand out of a mostly freeware Linux
> > distro.
> >
> > It does cause me to reflect that a lot of companies would be better off if
> > they would adapt Google's official corporate rule of behavior:
> >
> > "Don't be Evil."
>
> Are Red Hat or Ximian any less evil? Is brand correlation that much worse
> than rebranding when baked on top? ... I dunno.

Dunno, and don't care for the scope of this thread.  Point was:
a lot of companies would be better off if they would adapt Google's
official corporate rule of behavior: "Don't be Evil."

> Of course, if you think Java itself is evil, then it's hard to justify an
> inherent goodness in JDS. Hmm.

umm, sure, right.... whatever you say....   whatever.
(Did some one condemn JDS? - I must have missed it... )

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz@kinz.org" is copyright 2003.