[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue May 4 07:37:48 PDT 2004

<quote who="Jeff Kinz">

> > Sun Linux was a Red Hat based 'enterprise' distro.
>
> According to Sun's web site, there isn't anything which Sun calls "Sun
> Linux".

Yeah, I don't think they (publicly acknowledge that they) ship it anymore.

> My: [[  SUN-Linux (or "JDS" as SUN knows it.. ) ]]   was poking fun at
> SUN's ".NET"-like attempt to create a brand out of a mostly freeware Linux
> distro.
>
> It does cause me to reflect that a lot of companies would be better off if
> they would adapt Google's official corporate rule of behavior:
>
> "Don't be Evil."

Are Red Hat or Ximian any less evil? Is brand correlation that much worse
than rebranding when baked on top? ... I dunno.

Of course, if you think Java itself is evil, then it's hard to justify an
inherent goodness in JDS. Hmm.

- Jeff

    "I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity." - George W. Bush (by
                            way of Miles Nordin)