[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Tue May 4 07:31:28 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:35:27PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Kinz">
> > Ja, JDS (Or "Linux" as we know it :) ) is a pure Linux play from SUN and
> > its the first real move that shows SUN may be on the path to
> > re-inventing itself, which it desperately needs to do.  SUN-Linux (or
> > "JDS" as SUN knows it.. ) has been out for a while and seems very
> > aggresively priced:
>
> JDS and Sun Linux are actually different. JDS is a ripped-apart and rebadged
> SuSE, Sun Linux was a Red Hat based 'enterprise' distro. They are shipping

According to Sun's web site, there isn't anything which Sun calls "Sun Linux".

They do sell RH Enterprise and SUSE Enterprise Linux distro's for some
of their hardware.

My: [[  SUN-Linux (or "JDS" as SUN knows it.. ) ]]   was poking fun at
SUN's ".NET"-like attempt to create a brand out of a mostly freeware Linux
distro.

It does cause me to reflect that a lot of companies would be better
off if they would adapt Google's official corporate rule of behavior:

"Don't be Evil."

All the of the "Sun Linux" references I found on Google referred to JDS
or RHEL/SUSE.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz@kinz.org" is copyright 2003.