[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Mon May 3 20:49:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:52:28AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Kinz">
> > They are faking it, running as fast as they can just to slow down the rate
> > they are losing market share at. They will continue to (try to) rely on
> > telling a good story (marketing) which, if they can get people to believe
> > it, will convince some to continue to purchase SUN systems.  (Same reason
> > businesses purchased NT for servers...)
>
> Their messaging on Linux - thanks to jschwartz - is abominable, but they're
> having some really great successes with Java Desktop System. If they manage
> to do the right thing by themselves *and* the community, they'll do very
> well out of it. They certainly have a massive head start on Novell and Red
> Hat.

Ja, JDS (Or "Linux" as we know it :) ) is a pure Linux play from SUN and
its the first real move that shows SUN may be on the path to
re-inventing itself, which it desperately needs to do.  SUN-Linux (or
"JDS" as SUN knows it.. ) has been out for a while and seems very
aggresively priced:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/04/22/HNsundesktop_1.html
"The Java Desktop System costs $100 per employee per year or $50 per
employee per year if the client also buys the Java Enterprise System
server software, which costs $100 per employee per year. These prices
are significantly below those charged by Microsoft for similar
products."

$100/year per desktop seems like quite a bargain (Even today) if it
includes the hardware. Even better is the $25/desktop for schools. But
Dunno if any of these prices include hardware or if its software only.

They signed a major contract for delivery of these in China.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz@kinz.org" is copyright 2003.