[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon May 3 18:21:54 PDT 2004

<quote who="Martin Pool">

> > Their messaging on Linux - thanks to jschwartz - is abominable, but
> > they're having some really great successes with Java Desktop System.
>
> [grumpiness, feel free to delete]
>
> Does it actually contain any Java?  Naming your product after an largely
> unrelated technology doesn't seem like 'good messaging'.  And doubly so
> when the namesake is a bit on the nose as a result of excessive hype in
> the 90s.

It has Java Help and a few other things like that (some of which noticeably
replace GNOME components), and an upcoming release will include Looking
Glass (that 3D desktop thing, which is all Java).

> It's an OK language, but the common user experience is that Java is slow,
> flaky, hard to install and just generally inferior to a native
> application.  None of these are really true of GNOME anymore, but why
> suggest it?
>
> I don't know why it bugs me.  I guess I'm glad they're doing good work on
> it.

It bugs a lot of people. It's .NET-style branding touching "our code", and
that gets a bit frustrating. However, Sun have always mentioned GNOME on
their JDS pages (and previous products), where Red Hat and Ximian have not.

- Jeff

   "(Hint: IRC clients don't usually do DVD and VCD playback)." - Bastien
                                   Nocera