[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Mon May 3 18:15:50 PDT 2004

On  4 May 2004, Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Kinz">
>
> > They are faking it, running as fast as they can just to slow down the rate
> > they are losing market share at. They will continue to (try to) rely on
> > telling a good story (marketing) which, if they can get people to believe
> > it, will convince some to continue to purchase SUN systems.  (Same reason
> > businesses purchased NT for servers...)
>
> Their messaging on Linux - thanks to jschwartz - is abominable, but they're
> having some really great successes with Java Desktop System.

[grumpiness, feel free to delete]

Does it actually contain any Java?  Naming your product after an
largely unrelated technology doesn't seem like 'good messaging'.  And
doubly so when the namesake is a bit on the nose as a result of
excessive hype in the 90s.

It's an OK language, but the common user experience is that Java is
slow, flaky, hard to install and just generally inferior to a native
application.  None of these are really true of GNOME anymore, but why
suggest it?

I don't know why it bugs me.  I guess I'm glad they're doing good work
on it.

--
Martin

ps: congratulations and well done.