[linux-elitists] The First-Ever Installfest in Egypt (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon May 3 17:52:28 PDT 2004

<quote who="Jeff Kinz">

> They are faking it, running as fast as they can just to slow down the rate
> they are losing market share at. They will continue to (try to) rely on
> telling a good story (marketing) which, if they can get people to believe
> it, will convince some to continue to purchase SUN systems.  (Same reason
> businesses purchased NT for servers...)

Their messaging on Linux - thanks to jschwartz - is abominable, but they're
having some really great successes with Java Desktop System. If they manage
to do the right thing by themselves *and* the community, they'll do very
well out of it. They certainly have a massive head start on Novell and Red
Hat.

- Jeff

    "I'm just mucking round down the shallow end of the literary pool, I
                          suppose." - Mick Molloy