[linux-elitists] Is Pobox.com using SPF?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 30 23:11:59 PST 2004

Quoting Peter Whysall (peter.whysall@ntlworld.com):

> Just a question - do pobox.com *say* they use SPF? I know they invented
> it, and to not use it would be quite silly, but still...

Honestly, I don't know.

I was thinking there _might_ be some aspect of MTA-end SPF
implementation that I'm missing, and was hoping someone with more
in-depth knowledge would comment.  I've not yet looked significantly
into how MTAs check the RRs, so for all I knew the pobox.com guys' claim
that the incident showed a non-pobox.com MTA's need to implement it
(rather than their own need) might be correct -- or in some other way
I might have misunderstood where the check occurs.  (Thus my question in
the subject header.)

Of course, they're under no obligation to support their own protocol --
but I do hope for better than average handling of joe-jobs from SPF's
inventor.