Mining the archives (was Re: [linux-elitists] Laptop mania)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Mar 22 16:43:04 PST 2004

begin Don Marti quotation of Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:36:36PM -0700:

> On your box, you set the handler for message/x-mail-me-this to this
> script:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> sendmail $USER < $1
>
> And Bob's your uncle.

Here's a small improvement -- use formail to split the
message on "From ", so that you can handle either an
individual message or a whole thread.  Unless I hear
about real problems with this, this is the version
I will put on the help page for this list.

--------------------->8---------------------------
#! /bin/sh

FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

$FORMAIL -I 'From ' -s $SENDMAIL $USER < $1

Much better than a web board -- get the whole thread
in your own mailer.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                          Learn Linux and free software