[linux-elitists] A plea for relief from Microsoft's escalating anti-competitive tactics

David Mohring heretic@ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 10 10:28:57 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 05:58, Don Marti wrote:
> begin David Mohring quotation of Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:12:09AM +1300:
>
> > A plea for relief from Microsoft's escalating anti-competitive tactics.
>
> Can you go plead somewhere else?  It's conduct unbecoming
> an elitist.

Last month while doing some contracting work for my former employer,
they had a visit from a Microsoft sales droid attempt to push an upgrade
for their win98se desktops to XP. At the moment around 48 of the
desktops are running RH9 + StarOffice in a successful trial and since
late 2001 all the file, domain and print servers are samba hosted on RH.
I listened in but kept quiet as the sales person rolled of lines of
anti-Linux FUD. Nothing that we had not heard before until about the end
of the spiel where the salesperson stated "If you stick with Linux on
the desktop or desktop services you are going to run into unsolvable
compatibility problems with the next generation of Microsoft Office
documents and XP". "what do you mean by "unsolvable"?" the IT manager
asked. The salesperson was quiet for a moment and then stated "There
will be legal issues".

New Zealand does not have a DMCA act, but NZ existing copyright law does
make illegal to circumvent DRM mechanisms.

> It's the kind of thing Sun would do --
> http://www.sun.com/lawsuit/ -- and we all know what happened
> to them.

The wheels of civil court justice turn slowly.

Judge orders Gates to pretrial questioning
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/159682_msftburst07.html

And Sun is not the only one taking action

Microsoft 'overcharging' case hits court
http://www.silicon.com/software/os/0,39024651,39119055,00.htm

Adding pressure can also be effective.

Microsoft loosening contracts for PC makers
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=1128938332&fp=2&fpid=1
Amid mounting pressure from competition regulators, Microsoft will scrap
a clause in its licensing contracts with PC manufacturers that prevents
them from enforcing any hardware patents they have that may have
implications for software.

--
David Mohring <heretic@ihug.co.nz>