[linux-elitists] BBC: Computers 'must become greener' (fwd from eugen@leitl.org)

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Mon Mar 8 17:19:08 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:14:35AM -0800, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> 	Are there any good writeups on buildnig a super low-power
> low-heat server box?  I'd love to move to a VIA chip for zork, since
> it's I/O bound, and even a lame low-power chip has to be faster than
> the K6 it's using now.
>
> 	I don't know if mini-ITX in the answer, though.  I'd like it
> to be rackable if possible.

I'm not familiar with any of the "lame" low-power chips, but the 90nm
PowerPC 970FX shipped in the Apple XServe G5 is said to consume under
25W [1]. If cheap Taiwanese PPC970 motherboards were available, I
would have little reason to use an X86.

In addition, AMD will also ship 30W Opterons next month[2]. They sound
expensive though.

It's nice to know that not every chipmaker is going in the same
direction as Intel.

1. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/35057.html
2. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39146627,00.htm