[linux-elitists] BBC: Computers 'must become greener' (fwd from eugen@leitl.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Mar 8 12:26:13 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:59:10AM -0800, tek wrote:

> unless they have made huge leaps and bounds in the last 3-4 years i
> doubt you will be seeing led-lit backlighting in lcd's for some time.

It seems Osram has made some advances, to scale up to 17" panels.

> OLED and the new breed of printable displays will probably happen
> before you see led's in todays lcd's.

They're there for small displays, but won't be there in 2-3 years, the
projected timeline for white LED backlighting from Osram.

> personally that doesnt sound benign to me.

Current OLED displays don't use semiconductor nanoparticles. I'm assuming
this will become necessary for increased lifetime (unless they figure out
seals good enough to keep out oxygen systainably).

Either way, traces of toxic nanoparticles in the ink ain't anything in
comparison to TFT LCDs.