[linux-elitists] BBC: Computers 'must become greener' (fwd from eugen@leitl.org)

tek tek@pervasivenetwerks.com
Mon Mar 8 11:59:10 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:48:33 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote
> ----- Forwarded message from Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> -----

---snip---

> > are LCDs better? And so on.
>
> There's oodles of lead and semiconductors/flame retardants in
> a CRT, and CRTs burn a lot of juice over the operation.
>
> I would have to look LCD production (active matrix means the
> entire panel is an array of transistors), but it's on glass,
> and large-structure size, so it's not nearly as bad as an 300
> mm wafer full of amds. The backlit display contains some few
> mg of mercury vapor (next-generation 17" LCDs will be LED-lit).

unless they have made huge leaps and bounds in the last 3-4 years i
doubt you will be seeing led-lit backlighting in lcd's for some time.
We were trying to use something like this at cisco and we just couldn't
pack in enough led's to get good enough dispersion through the diffuser
and polarizers . the backlight which is a cold cathode ray tube burns
the most energy in a lcd but led's are not up to the job yet of
replacing them. In small displays maybe but nothing over about 6" from
what i had seen and you still get wicked hotspots across the display.
We were trying to do this for a 8" display the the best results still
sucked miserably.

 OLED and the new breed of printable displays will probably happen
before you see led's in todays lcd's.

> I suspect that OLED displays will be very very benign
> environmentally, even if they're to use semiconductor
> nanoparticle (CdSe or CdTe typically) inks.

(CdTe)
Cadmium and cadmium compounds are highly toxic and experimental
carcinogens.  Exposure affects the respiratory tract, kidneys, and
liver.  Ingestion may cause nausea, salivation, vomiting and diarrhea.
Ingestion or inhalation of cadmium/cadmium compounds may be fatal.
Tellurium is converted in the body to dimethyl telluride which imparts
a garlic-like odor to the breath and sweat.  Heavy exposure may result
in headache, drowsiness, metallic taste, loss of appetite, nausea,
tremors, convulsions, and respiratory arrest.

(CdSe)
Danger through skin absorption.
To the best of our knowledge the acute and chronic toxicity of this
substance is not fully known.
EPA-B1: Probable human carcinogen, limited evidence of carcinogenicity
from epidemiologic studies.
IARC-1: Carcinogenic to humans: sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity.
NTP-2: Reasonably anticipated to be a carcinogen: limited evidence from
studies in humans or sufficient evidence from studies in experimental
animals.
Carcinogen as defined by OSHA.
ACGIH A2: Suspected human carcinogen: Agent is carcinogenic in
experimental animals at dose levels, by route(s) of administration, at
site(s), of histologic type(s), or by mechanism(s) considered relevant
to worker exposure.  Available epidemiologic studies are conflicting or
insufficient to confirm an increased risk of cancer in exposed humans.

personally that doesnt sound benign to me.

Tnt
--
Linux User  #186282
              PGP Key Fingerprint