[linux-elitists] BBC: Computers 'must become greener' (fwd from eugen@leitl.org)

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Mon Mar 8 10:14:35 PST 2004

begin  Eugen Leitl  quotation:
> It's not the weight. The bulk of resources are needed for
> semiconductor fabbing. It's there where you can make the biggest
> impact by going to molecular nanoelectronics (precursors you'll see
> in OLED/polymer printable, etc).

	And then we all become gods when the extropian singularity
passes over our homes!  FREE ELECTRICITY TO EVERYBODY, and hosannahs
to Tesla!

> > with the "chemicals"? Wow, the scary, generic chemicals, they must
> > all
>
> What is up with programmers? Have they been flunking their chemistry
> in high school? It can't take anyone more than half an hour to
> research the production pathways for the basic components in a
> computer, and their environmental impact.
>
> I mean, really. Especially elitists.

	If you can write a better article, then you ought to try.  But
the one you pasted in was full of hand-waving, and the fact that you
have to spend all this energy clarifying is a sign of its weakness.
Perhaps you could give a rundown of the chemicals used in the process
by weight, and list them based on the risk to flora and fauna and
overall ecological health.

	I mean, hell, there's a bathtub in this flat that occasionally
holds a hundred gallons of chemicals.  OOOO, CHEMICALS!!!  FEEEAR
THEM!

> So the big lesson's there's value in prolonging a life time of a PC.
> It's a good idea to use these 1 GHz VIA fanless processors on
> miniITX boards, and 12 V external power supplies in new machines,
> where raw performance is not an absolute requirement. Etc.

	Are there any good writeups on buildnig a super low-power
low-heat server box?  I'd love to move to a VIA chip for zork, since
it's I/O bound, and even a lame low-power chip has to be faster than
the K6 it's using now.

	I don't know if mini-ITX in the answer, though.  I'd like it
to be rackable if possible.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end