[linux-elitists] Content and its discontents

Laurie Lynne Tucker llt@eskimo.com
Sun Mar 7 11:27:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:41:54PM -0500, Mister Bad wrote:
> So I'm trying to think of better words than "content". ...

My question is this: Who are you expecting to use your new term(s) and
how are you proposing to convince them to do it?

Althought I'm usually one who argues that you _can_ fight the system,
and if you don't, who do you think _will_ cause any changes -- I'm
starting to believe that it's useless in some cases.

Will we ever get advertisers (or regular people) to stop saying "log on
to our web site"?  Or "send me an e-mail"?  (To me that sounds like
saying, "send me a mail".  Too bad someone didn't come up with a word
similar to "letter" before the masses found out about e-mail.)

Some of us even remember when the word "hacker" actually meant
something different from "cracker".  And on the radio the other day, I
heard a reporter call my alma mater "Georgia Tech University", which a
long-time, local news anchor in Atlanta also called it once on-air
about 13 years ago.

-laurie

--
Laurie Lynne Tucker --- llt@eskimo.com
    "Trying to express ideas with words is like trying to build