[linux-elitists] Content and its discontents

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Fri Mar 5 14:18:33 PST 2004

    BF> Agreed.  It has the same problems as "consumer": it
    BF> presupposes the distribution channel is the central, all
    BF> important part of the system.

Thank you! Yes, "consumers" consume "content".

By the way, all of what you said was interesting and good. I
especially liked that you put Nick to sleep. Ha ha! Shuts him up for
once!

    BF> As a side point, why are you so interested in a term that
    BF> excludes source code?  As already pointed out in this thread,
    BF> source code *is* content, if presented that way; its human
    BF> audience may be more limited than other expression, but its
    BF> expressive quality is no less.

You've got a good point.

    BF> That's a horrible idea; to reclaim the importance of
    BF> expression you're talking about, we need people to realise
    BF> that they're easily capable of being culture creators, not
    BF> just consumers.

    BF> Perhaps using the term "culture" to refer to stuff that is
    BF> quite obviously not buried under the sea is a good place to
    BF> start.

I think that sounds right. "Free Culture" is a good word.

~Mr. Bad

--
         the end come despondency and madness." --Wordsworth